On May 7, 2002 the Hickory International Council was established by Hickory Mayor Rudy Wright and City Council to serve as a forum for the international community in Hickory and to advise the City Council regarding ways to improve Hickory as an international city that welcomes and values international visitors, residents and businesses.
As of July 1, 2019, the Hickory International Council has transitioned to a non-profit organization serving the Greater Hickory area. Its name has officially changed to the Greater Hickory International Council (GHIC), which now inclusively serves our 4 county Greater Hickory Metro Region of Alexander, Burke, Caldwell and Catawba counties.
The mission of the Greater Hickory International Council is to promote goodwill, cultural awareness, cooperation, education, and mutual respect through partnerships and community events.
- To recommend steps, processes, programs or procedures which will improve communication and foster positive interaction between the international community and the Greater Hickory municipal governments.
- To make the Greater Hickory Region friendly to international visitors, businesses and residents.
- To recommend actions to improve cultural understanding and tolerance within the local communities.
- To work with the educational system, the local governments, and other organizations to promote the understanding of the international communities within the Greater Hickory Metro Region and to teach the interconnectedness of the world today.
- To promote both international investment in the Greater Hickory Metro Region and the expansion of local businesses through exports and investment abroad.
The GHIC meets the third Thursday of each month from 5:30 PM – 6:30 PM. While we are “sheltered in place” the meetings take place via ZOOM. Check our event calendar for meeting locations when things return to normal.
MEMBERSHIP and APPOINTMENT
Hani Nassar is the President/Secretary. The registered Agent and Legal Council is Henry Morphis. Edward Tashjian is the Treasurer. Up to a total of four Directors will be appointed to serve on the Board. The GHIC also comprises of volunteers and advisory members of a broad cross-section of the community with international ties. If you are interested in serving on the GHIC as a volunteer or as an advisory member, please contact Hani Nassar at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828.234.6330.
For more information, you may also contact current GHIC advisory members
Marc Swinnen email@example.com
Eric Brandon Eric.Brandon@LR.edu
Ed Tashjian firstname.lastname@example.org
Tracey Trimble email@example.com
Steven Chuang firstname.lastname@example.org
©2020 Greater Hickory International Council. All rights reserved.