Greetings, #Hickory friends and neighbors! Have you ever wondered what it's like to walk across Morocco? Motorcycle Nigeria? Jump into a murky pool in Vietnam? Come to our seminar and social to hear first-hand about our world via other Hickory citizens sharing their first-person perspectives!
• Event title: "Sail the Seven Seas Through Stories and Study Abroad Seminar: Meet-and-Greet the World!"
• Event time and location: August 15, 7-8:30 p.m., at Patrick Beaver Memorial Library meeting room (first on right upon first-floor entrance)
• Sponsor(s): Hickory International Council and Hickory Community Relations Council (municipal boards)
• Purpose: To allow the general public of Hickory to learn about our shared world through shared adventure stories of neighbors (social); to showcase the singularity of study abroad and experiences abroad (academic)
• Description of evening: Each world continent will have a table where "tour guides" - people from the community who have traveled, lived, or studied abroad - will discuss, one-on-one, with circulating members of the public, their experiences abroad
• Speaker(s): The only speakers to the whole audience will be Mr. Aaron Kohrs, MA (to lay out thematic foundations of evening), and Dr. Laura Dobson of LRU (to discuss study abroad exchanges at college-level) -- this will happen at beginning of evening